strawberry pancakes, just in time for mother’s day
On a lazy Sunday morning a couple of weeks ago, I watch Trisha Yearwood make strawberry cupcakes. I’m not an avid Trisha fan but watching her make those cupcakes brought back many good memories, especially of my Mother-in-law, Julee.
A few years ago Julee helped me throw a bridesmaids luncheon for a dear friend. Being the lovely hostess and southern belle that she is, she snagged these scrumptious mini strawberry cupcakes for the event. (Have you ever eaten something you wish you could eat over and over again, but chances are you’ll probably only eat it once in your life? That’s how I feel about those cupcakes.)
Anyways, watching Trisha make those cupcakes made me crave Julee’s mini cupcakes like never before. Being that it was 10am and I couldn’t justify making cupcakes so early, I decided the next best thing was pancakes.
So in honor of my mothers (Mom and Julee) here’s my strawberry pancake recipe…
What you’ll need…
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3.5 tbsp granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 6 fresh strawberries, puréed
- 1 scoop sour cream (the secret ingredient!)
- red food coloring (optional, I just didn’t like the grey/pink color the puree turned the batter, so I went all out pink.)
Then follow these steps…
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg into the milk. Add in the vanilla.
- Make a small well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the milk mixture into the center, whisking while you pour.
- Add the strawberry puree and the scoop of sour cream.
- Last (but certainly not least) mix in the melted butter and a few drops of red food coloring if you wish.
- Butter your griddle and cook up a pancake for your mom!